Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Daniel and Jonah Part 2

Part 2


It was a few more days before I saw him again. I worried at first that he would never return because of what had happened to him, but on the fourth day after the incident, he was back again which made me feel incredibly happy for some reason.

I smiled at him as he approached the counter. "Good morning," I greeted cheerfully, "nice to see you again. The usual?"

Quiet Man nodded his head, still avoiding eye contact, but there was a small smile on his well-shaped lips. I wanted to see more of that smile.

After he'd sat down and opened his book, I watched him as subtly as I could, studying him as I would have studied a piece of fine art. His hair was short, and dirty blonde with just a hint of curls. His eyes grey-blue with long, light brown lashes. He had the tiniest scruff of a beard and mustache that only just showed on his fair skin. He carried a few extra pounds but that in no way detracted from what a good looking guy he was. He had somewhat of a baby face so it was rather difficult to pinpoint how old he was, but I was sure he was over eighteen.  I noticed that after each bite of his breakfast sandwich he'd wipe his hands thoroughly on a napkin before touching the pages of his book which I found admirable, being a bookworm as well. 

This went on for a couple of weeks, always the handy book, most of which he bought from my store, and the quiet, monotone 'Thank you.' Finally, I couldn't take it any more and I approached him carefully, placing another medium cup of cocoa in front of him.

He looked up, surprised, saw me smiling at him and quickly trained his eyes on the cup I'd just put in front of him. "Thank you," he said, his voice once more barely audible.

"I want to apologize if I'm wrong," I said quietly, "but I'd really like to take you out for dinner this weekend if you're available that is."

Grey-blue eyes once again shifted toward me and then away, but no smile this time.

"Please?" I asked, putting on my best puppy dog eyes.

I thought I caught the hint of a smile but if it had actually been there, it was quickly quenched.

"You wouldn't want to go out with me," he replied, ever so quietly in his oddly monotone voice.

"I do, if you're willing," I said, just as quietly, "it's up to you of course. I think we might have a good time. Dinner? Maybe a movie? Or just a quiet walk around the park?"

I could see him considering it. Either that or he was looking for a polite way to turn me down. I held my breath as I waited for his answer. Finally, he glanced up at me, that tiny smile playing along his full lips, "Ok," he replied in a near whisper, "I work til five thirty on Friday."

I released the breath I'd been holding and grinned, it was Wednesday now, so it wouldn't be as long a wait as I'd feared. "Can I pick you up?"

He looked slightly panicked when he heard that question and I backtracked as quickly and as casually as I could.

"Or, we could meet somewhere." I said, "You pick the place. Just tell me where and what time is good for you."

"Ok," he said finally, hesitantly, "the restaurant in the plaza on Mason Street? Six thirty?" He glanced at me impassively, but I could tell that he fully expected me to ditch him.

"I'll be there," I replied softly. "I promise."

He glanced at his wristwatch and checked the time before answering, "Ok, I have to go to work now."

"Hey," I asked quietly, "won't you tell me your name first?" 

He looked a bit startled but answered, "My name is Daniel, Jonah."

It was my turn to look startled, "How..."

He grinned uncertainly, but to me, it was a beautiful sight, and briefly glanced at me from beneath his lashes, "Your nametag."

With that he stood, slid into his jacket and left, holding his book tightly to his chest, almost running away from the store. I wondered myself whether he would be too shy to show up on Friday night. I could only hope that he would. This quiet man, Daniel, was intriguing, and I wanted to get to know him much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment