Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Daniel and Jonah Part 9

Chapter 9
Copyright 2019

We eventually made our way to the nearest beach and Dan's eyes widened in surprise. Since it was after Labor Day it was nearly empty, only a few die-hard sunbathers and swimmers were there, and more than one wore a shirt or a hat to protect them from the sun. I couldn't help but smile when Dan did. 

"When's the last time you were by the ocean?"

"I don't remember," he admitted, looking out over the water as though he'd never seen it before. "I remember when I was a kid that I had a fascination for lighthouses, so mom would buy me one every year and I'd put them on my window sill. He looked down at the sand with a slight frown. "I guess I must have gotten tired of them at some point because I don't know where they all are now."

I grinned as I said, "Maybe they have a souvenir shop somewhere nearby and we can pick one up for you. Start a new collection. What do you think?"

His attention was drawn suddenly to the sky, which was clear and blue that day.

"What are those?" he exclaimed.

I shaded my eyes and looked up. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he was so fascinated by.

"Those! Those silver birds! What are they?"

Finally, my eyes focused. "Seagulls."

"Seagulls?" he replied, his tone hushed, "Are you sure? Why are they silver?"

I frowned and focused on the birds catching the breeze beneath their wings. They seemed the same color as always to me, and I found myself wishing that I could see things the way Dan did.

"Maybe it's the way the sun is catching their wings," I guessed. I wondered if I had ever thought the birds were silver as a kid and their beauty just... faded away as I got older. I glanced back up at the birds who Dan was still following with his eyes, and wished again that I could see what he did. I was surprised at myself for feeling a little sad, and a little jealous. Luckily I caught myself in time and gave myself another mental head slap for allowing myself to think that way.

"So," I continued cheerfully, "let's plant this umbrella, set up camp and hit the water, what do you say?"

He seemed surprised to find himself still on the beach but helped me set up our little area with a vague smile.

"What are you thinking, Dan?" I asked, "I'd say, 'Penny for your thoughts,' but I have a feeling that yours are worth a lot more than a penny."

He suddenly looked away as though embarrassed and I could feel that invisible barrier starting to come up between us once again.

"Dan," I warned, "remember what I said I'd do if you shut me out again?"

He looked at me then, surprised, then he glanced around warily, "You'd do that in front of all these people?"

"No, I'd wait until we were back at the car, or even back home. If it's serious enough I'd even take you to the men's room right here. I'm serious though, Dan... I meant what I said. I'm not going to judge you. You can tell me anything and I won't laugh or judge. Do you believe me?"

"I believe you," he replied shyly, then after a short pause he took a deep breath and said quietly, "I sometimes wish I could fly. I dream of flying. In my dreams, I have angel wings, and I have my little, secluded house in the forest and I just fly around and look at everything. Feel the sun and the wind on my face and the breeze on my skin, catching my wings," he said as he looked back up at the seagulls, "and just... no one is around. Just me..." he stopped himself as though he thought he'd said too much and then I could see him tense up as he waited for me to laugh.

"That sounds really beautiful," I replied softly, then an idea hit me so hard that I would have been knocked over by it if it had been a solid thing. I did my best to contain my excitement as I asked, "Dan, are you afraid of heights?" I prayed that his answer would be 'No,' because I had a possible way to make that dream come true, minus the angel wings, of course, I reminded myself.

I nearly sighed in relief when he said no.

"I have a surprise for you then. Do you know when you're off next?"

"I'll have to check my schedule, but I know I'm off tomorrow and the next day."

"I mean, in about a week or two," I said, knowing that I'd need at least that much time to make my plans.

"Oh, I don't know that far in advance," he replied.

"If I gave you a date, could you ask for it off?" I suggested.

"I guess," he said uncertainly.

"Don't worry hon, let's have fun for now. I'm going to need a little time, ok? I have an idea but I want it to be a surprise for you. I think you'll love it," I grinned. "C'mon, last one in the water has to eat sushi," I joked.

Dan frowned slightly and said, "I like sushi."

With that information in hand, I took off like a shot and dove into the water which was a bit cold at first, but it was either jump into cold water or eat sushi, which was just not going to happen unless it was a life or death situation. I was more than happy to buy him a sushi dinner at a great nearby hibachi grill just before we headed home.

A few nights later I was invited over to Dan's house for dinner.

"It'll just be the two of us though if that's ok," he said uncertainly, "mom and dad are taking Freddie to the movies and then to McDonald's."

"That's fine," I agreed with a grin. I liked the idea of just having him to myself without Freddie's incessant chatter.

When I arrived Dan met me at the door and took my jacket. Hanging it up on the hook behind the door he led me to the kitchen table which had been set for the promised dinner.

"Have a seat," Dan said with a grin, "I'll get the food."

To my surprise, he came back carrying two plates... of sushi.

"I noticed that you didn't have any last time we were out, so I thought I'd surprise you," he said, handing me a pair of chopsticks before sitting down and anxiously waiting for me to take the first bite.

I knew that I couldn't say no and possibly hurt his feelings since he'd obviously made it by hand, so this being a life or death situation, in my opinion, I ate. I did pretty well and only gagged once which I explained was merely a reaction to the wasabi sauce. "Just a little too potent for me, sorry," I explained with a grin.

He chuckled and said, "Oh, I don't like that either, but I didn't know if you did, so I made it. Do you like dinner?"

"I love it," I fibbed as I gobbled the food as quickly as I could without actually tasting it. The thick coating of rice which he'd wrapped it in made that easy enough.

Dan was so pleased that I'd enjoyed it that he got up and refilled our plates.

With a sigh of resignation I smiled and thanked him, and... ate the sushi. It was worth it to see the happiness on his face.
(end chapter 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment